Just a few years ago in the UK, it was difficult to find the pastured and other foods to eat a clean paleo and organics diet. A paleo ketogenic diet would’ve been a real burden, thankfully that’s not the case today.
Here are some good places to find the following:
- Grass Fed and Pasture Raised Meat
- Quality Organ Meats
- Organic Fruits and Vegetables
- Quality Eggs and Dairy
- Organic Nuts and Seeds
- Summary Takeaways
100% Grass Fed & Pasture Raised Meats
Finding pasture raised meat in the UK is relatively easy, as there are many farms that provide this high quality product. Animals that have been pasture raised have a better omega 3 to 6 ratio, and their fats contain much higher amounts of the crucial fat-soluble vitamins.
Grass fed meat is ecological as it helps to fertilize the soil instead of depleting it. No pesticides, herbicides or chemical fertilizers are used on the fields, the animals eat their natural diet, and there is no routine administration of antibiotics or other chemicals.
The cheapest and most convenient way to buy grass fed meat is to use farm delivery services. There are several farms to choose from, all of the following provide 100% grass fed & pasture raised meat.
- Green Pasture Farms provides several cuts of pasture raised beef, lamb, pork, chicken and even water buffalo. You need to register to place an order, they do provide single one-off delivery, as well as a subscription service, where you get a specific delivery weekly, fortnightly, or monthly. If you choose this option you get a 5% discount on orders. You can cancel this service anytime.
- Primal Meats offers pasture raised beef, lamb, mutton and hogget, chicken, pork, goose and wild game. Again you need to register to place an order, they offer a wide variety of cuts, as well as burgers and sausages and even bone broth.
- Abel & Cole supplies a wide range of grass fed, free range meat & fish boxes, beef, lamb, pork, poultry, venison and game as well as mince, sausages and burgers.
- Pasture for Life has a collection of local farms that provide pasture raised beef and some of them provide pasture raised lamb. Some have mail order services, others only sell locally.
- Eversfield Farm offers pasture raised beef, lamb, pork, chicken and wild game. Register to place an order.
- Riverford offers pasture raised beef, lamb, pork and chicken. You can place an order on the site.
Quality Organ Meats
Pasture raised organ meats and offal have a much healthier nutritional profile, compared to conventional varieties. They contain more vitamins, especially the fat soluble ones, and minerals too while also having a good fit for the ketogenic diet.
- Green Pasture Farms provides liver, heart and kidneys coming from beef, lamb, pork and chicken. They are incredibly cheap compared to the muscle meats.
- Abel & Cole supplies free range, chicken, duck and lamb livers.
- Eversfield Farm sells organic grass fed ox, lamb and organic free range pig and chicken organ meats.
|Beef Bone Marrow||0||5|
Organic Fruits and Vegetables
Organic Fruits and Vegetables generally have higher levels of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. They are also free of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides. This makes them a healthier choice than conventional varieties.
Most fruits and some vegetables aren’t keto friendly since they contain too many carbs, check the first section for fruits and vegetables that have low amounts of carbohydrates.
All of the major supermarkets in the UK offer an organic range, but usually, the choices are limited and the prices are significantly higher than conventional products.
Farm delivery services offer a variety of fresh organic fruit & vegetable boxes, they are a lot cheaper than buying organic produce in the major supermarkets, you can also select and order vegetables separately and it will still be cheaper.
Quality Eggs and Dairy
Eggs from pasture raised organic hens have a better omega 3 to 6 ratio, contain higher levels of the essential micronutrients, and the animals aren’t treated with routine antibiotics or hormones.
Dairy products from pasture raised animals contain more fat soluble vitamins, omega 3 fats, CLA and other micronutrients than conventional dairy.
In the major supermarkets, your best option is organic eggs, the hens have a big outdoor space, and they are fed organic grains. Second best is free range, the hens have less space than organic ones.
- Riverford provides great quality pasture raised organic eggs, you can order here.
- Woodwards Farm also offers pasture raised eggs, the hens are eating mainly grass, native plants and weeds, order here.
- Oxado is a webshop that offers pasture raised organic eggs, from Daylesford farm.
- Riverford sells pasture raised unsalted butter which you can order here.
- Red23 sells pasture raised unpasteurised butter, cream and cheeses order here.
- John’s Jersey’s sells pasture raised unpasteurised cream and sometimes cheeses order here.
- Graham’s Family the Dairy sells grass fed butter, cream and various cheeses. For each product, you can check which supermarket are they available in here.
- Kerrygold sells butter and cheeses that are 90% grass fed. They are available in Tesco’s, order here, Sainsbury’s order here and Asda, order here.
Organic Nuts and Seeds
Nuts and seeds are great nutrient dense choices to eat as a snack, or on the go. They have a lot of important micronutrients, but they tend to be high in omega 6 fats, so overconsumption can lead to inflammatory issues.
Summary: The Takeaways
- While still a bit tricky, you can find many high-quality keto and paleo compliant foods and snacks in the UK.
- The paleo options are quite well-developed now. For the most part, food products advertised or with ‘packaging information’ stating paleo or paleo-compliance are paleo compliant. You do need to still pay attention.
- The harder part, is finding the items that are also keto-compliant. Some companies currently advertise or have packaging information stating their products are Ketogenic or Keto. Unfortunately, they are often high protein, or contain glycemic fibers/ ingredients. So you need to remain vigilant and read / understand all ingredients.